Bachelor of Education - Elementary Program
The Elementary Education program offers a mix of theory and practice, developed within the context of a caring community. Our Elementary Education program has a maximum enrolment of 35 students per year, which means you receive personal attention from your professors, including practicum supervision.
"At King's, Christian values permeated all my courses--even my mathematics course advocated social justice. There is great beauty in this place."
Judy, B.Ed. '11, Edmonton Catholic School District
The program highlights a minimum teaching practicum of 17 weeks, including one week of startup procedures at the beginning of a school year, as well as four weeks of 100% teaching time in the classroom. During the second term, you also take week-long modules on various aspects of the elementary curriculum taught by master teachers currently in the school system.
Graduates from our program consistently rank among the best teachers in the province. They are eligible to receive professional teaching certification from Alberta Education and are eligible to teach in elementary/junior high school classrooms in Alberta, Canada, and around the world.
Year 1 (Fall) - Preparation
- EDUC 301 - Education Learning Theory
- EDUC 303 - Curriculum Planning
- EDUC 306 - Language Arts Methods
- EDUC 307 - Mathematics Methods
- One Elective
Year 1 (Winter) - Preparation
- EDUC 305 - One week master teacher modules (x9)
- EDUC 351 - Elementary Practicum I
Year 2 (Fall) - Extension
- EDUC 309 - Children's Literature
- EDUC 341 - Exceptional Child & Adolescent
- EDUC 401 - Ed Administration
- EDUC 403 - Advanced Curriculum Planning
- EDUC 450 - Elementary Classroom Startup
- One Elective
Year 2 (Winter) - Final Practicum and Completion
- EDUC 451 - Elementary Practicum II