Study Politics, History & Economics at King's
Do you have a passion for the big issues that face our world today? Want to work with others to make things better? Modelled after the acclaimed and widely recognized Philosophy, Politics, and Economics major at Oxford University, the Politics, History & Economics (PHE) program at King's is a unique interdisciplinary degree that prepares students for life and careers in law, policy, the public sphere and much more.
Why study three disciplines in one degree? Each discipline contributes unique understandings and expertise relevant to participation in the public sphere. Together, they equip students to think deeply and critically, and to flexibly apply a broad range of tools in complex, ever-changing situations.
Politics, History & Economics Program Highlights
- Select from courses in three disciplines critical to understanding the formation of public policy and how we live together as a society
- Learn how different actors – government, non-profits, business, the media, schools, and the church – each play unique roles in contributing to the common good and human flourishing
- Dig deeper into some of our world's most pressing issues and possible actions that could be employed to mitigate them
- Focus on applying learning and theory to real-life situations
- Participate in internships and study abroad programs that allow you to gain professional skills, build your resume and expand your network
- Find work in international development and non-profit employment through King's Micah Certificate in Justice and Development
Off Campus Opportunities
Students are encouraged and assisted to participate in internships during their studies. Some internships count toward the the number of courses needed to graduate, and in others students gain work experience and networking opportunities.
Laurentian Leadership Centre
King's students are offered special placement into the Laurentian Leadership Centre (LLC) internship program in Ottawa, Ontario through Trinity Western University. The program includes a half-time internship and courses in leadership, public policy, and more. Previous students of LLC have interned with the Prime Minister’s Office, Members of Parliament, Senators, Cabinet Minister’s Offices, and NGOs. Students may take the program either as a current student or a graduate of The King’s University.
Politics, History & Economics Program Options
Available as a major
- 4-year Bachelor of Arts
Available as a concentration
- 4-year Bachelor of Arts or Science in Environmental Studies (Economics and Politics concentration)
"My PHE degree and its broad interdisciplinary nature was a springboard into work and educational opportunities. It challenged me to work for shalom in our economic and political systems in what is often a broken world. The PHE program has proven to be invaluable training for work on an international...