Dr. John Hiemstra
Dr. John Hiemstra is Professor of Political Studies and former Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences. He teaches courses in various areas, including Canadian and world politics, public policy, oil/tar sands developments, and Christian social movements. His research over the past six years has focused on analyzing the cultural and philosophical meaning of the tar/oil sands developments. He also writes on a pluriform approach to school policy. Dr. Hiemstra completed a Ph.D. in public policy and political philosophy at the University of Calgary. His earlier research and writing dealt with Christian faith, public life, and public policy making. Dr. Hiemstra currently serves on the Transformative Theological working group of Oikotree, (sponsored by the Council for World Mission, the World Alliance of Reformed Churches and the World Council of Churches). He has served on the “Social Action Commission” of the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, the national board of the Christian policy advocacy group Citizens for Public Justice, various other boards, and the local KAIROS working group in Edmonton.
- POLI 205 - Invitation to Politics and Government
- POLI 320 - Canadian Government and Politics
- POLI 327 - Public Policy Analysis
- POLI 380 - World Politics
- POLI 399 - Special Topics In Political Science
- POLI 317 - Christian Social and Political Movements
- PHES 201 - Engaging the World: Faith and Public Life
- PHES 495 - Senior PHES Seminar
- POLI 499 - Directed Studies in Political Science
Research and representative publications
Click on the main categories of my research history. Each section contains select publications, conference presentations, submissions, speeches, or popular articles.
Select papers, publications, and speeches
Popular Tar/Oil Sands publications
Electoral reform and pluralism
Faith(s) & public life
School policy and pluralism
Media, broadcasting and pluralism policy
Pierre Trudeau’s political philosophy
Economic and Social Justice
Philosophy of Science and ‘Approaches to Analysis’
- Teach political studies, The King’s University College, 1991 – present.
- Chair, General Faculty Council, The King’s University College, 2002-2003.
- Dean, Faculty of Social Sciences, 2005 – 2012.
- Public policy analyst, Citizens for Public Justice, 1981-1987.
- North American Board member, International Association for the Promotion of Christian Higher Education, (IAPCHE), 2006 – 2013.
- Board Member, Citizens for Public Justice, Toronto, 2001-2006.
- ‘Social Action Commission,’ Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, 1993-2004.
- Canadian delegate, “Oikotree Global Forum,” Johannesburg, South Africa, 2013, and serve with the “Transformative Theology Working Group” of Oikotree.
- Research member, “The Role of the State in Creation Care, Research project” funded by Calvin Centre for Christian Scholarship, 2012-present.
- Team Leader, 3-week Honduras Water Project Teams, sponsored by King’s, NADC, and CRWRC/World Renew, May 2006 and May 2008.