Dr. Andrew Rillera
Andrew Rillera is Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies and Theology. He is also a co-founder, consultant, and Research Editor for PAX Collective: A non-profit, which seeks to promote the peace of Jesus in the 21st century through accessible Christian content specifically targeting Generation Z and Millennials. Previously he served as a Children's Ministry and College Ministry Director while completing his MA at Fuller Theological Seminary.
He defended his dissertation on the apostle Paul’s letter to the Romans in July 2021, and is currently working on a book with Cascade Books, Lamb of the Free: Recovering the Varied Sacrificial Understandings of Jesus’s Death. He co-wrote Fight: A Christian Case for Nonviolence (Cook, 2013) with Preston Sprinkle (now re-titled as Nonviolence: The Revolutionary Way of Jesus).
His academic interests include the apostle Paul’s relation to Early Judaism, race and ethnicity in the Bible, Jewish apocalyptic literature, theological ethics (war, violence, restorative justice, environment, economy), sacrifice and sacrificial imagery, and Philo of Alexandria.
When Andrew isn’t hanging out with his family, reading, or grading, he is probably watching or playing hockey.
- “Tertium Genus or Dyadic Unity? Investigating Sociopolitical Salvation in Ephesians,” Biblical Research 66 (2021): 31–51.
- “A Call to Resistance: The Exhortative Function of Daniel 7,” Journal of Biblical Literature 138 (2019): 757–76.
Public Scholarship Articles:
- “‘A Man of Sufferings and Acquainted with Grief’: Jesus as Co-Sufferer,” Issue 6: Mental Health, PAX, April 14, 2022
- “Cruciform Nonviolence and Conforming to the Image of God,” in Issue 4: Nonviolence, PAX, July 9, 2021 on https://www.madeforpax.org/nonviolence/material#andrew-rillera
- “The Good Book: 3 Practical Steps to Begin Exploring the Bible as a Jesus Follower.” April 13, 2021. PDF download available at https://www.madeforpax.org/marketplace
- “Jesus Is the Key to Reading the Bible as Christian Scripture,” in Issue 3: Scripture, PAX, March 9, 2021 on https://www.madeforpax.org/scripture/material#andrew-rillera
- “Jesus’ Multicultural Identity and Mission,” in Issue 2: Cultural Identity, PAX, November 17, 2020 on https://www.madeforpax.org/cultural-identity/material#andrew-rillera
- “Voting within the Framework of Christian Discipleship,” October 22, 2020 on https://madeforpax.medium.com/voting-within-the-framework-of-christian-discipleship-5395f4df736d
- OnScript: Andrew Rillera – Quotations, Atonement, and Wrath in Paul
- The Bible Project: Does the Church Supersede Israel?
- We The Peace: Romans 13 w/Andrew Rillera (YouTube version)