Dr. Harry Spaling
Welcome to my Faculty Webpage
I am passionate about caring for creation and serving the poor, especially in Africa, and instilling this same passion in students through my teaching and research. After seven years as a community agriculturist and country director in Sierra Leone for World Renew Canada, I completed a PhD in geography, specializing in rural resource evaluation, and joined The King’s University in Edmonton, Alberta as its founding Director of Environmental Studies. I have held various positions at King's but always come back to my passion for teaching creation-care and practicing it through applied research in African communities.
Read more below and see my Curriculum Vitae
- GEOG 201 Physical Geography
- GEOG 310 Landscapes & Human Settlements
- ENVS 300 Humankind and the Biosphere
- ENVS 410 Resource Planning & Environmental Management
- ENVS 450 Environmental Impact Assessment
- ENVS 490 Internship
- Advancing next-generation strategic environmental assessment in Kenya
- Participation and learning for sustainable resource-based livelihoods in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Community-based environmental assessment of local development projects in Africa (e.g., water supply, food security, community forests, wildlife conservancies)
- African creation wisdom as an indigenous eco-theology
Walker, H., Spaling, H. and Sinclair, A.J. 2016. Towards a home-grown approach to strategic environmental assessment: adapting practice and participation in Kenya. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal (in press). Available online at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14615517.2016.1176409
Spaling, H. and Vroom, B. 2015. Environmental assessment after the 2004 tsunami: a case study, lessons and prospects. In Thomas B. Fischer (Ed.), Environmental Assessment. Volume 4, Chapter 65. Routledge, Oxford (Critical concepts in the built environment series). [Reprint of Spaling, H. and Vroom, B. 2007. Environmental assessment after the 2004 tsunami: a case study, lessons and prospects. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 25: 43-52.]
Spaling, H., Brouwer, G. and Njoka, J. 2014. Factors affecting the sustainability of a community water supply project in Kenya. Development in Practice 24: 797-811.
Walker, H., Sinclair, A.J. and Spaling, H. 2014. Public participation in and learning through Strategic Environmental Assessment in Kenya. EIA Review 45: 1-9.
Najjar, D., Spaling, H. and Sinclair, A.J. 2013. Learning about sustainability and gender through Farmer Field Schools in the Taita Hills, Kenya. International Journal of Educational Development 33: 466-475.
Moyer, J., Sinclair, A.J. and Spaling, H. 2012. Working for God and sustainability: The activities of Faith-Based Organizations in Kenya. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 23(4): 959-992.
Spaling, H., Montes, J. and Sinclair, A.J. 2011 Best practices for promoting participation and learning from community-based environmental assessment in Kenya and Tanzania. Journal of Environmental Assessment, Policy and Management 13(3): 343–366.
Collins, S., Sinclair, A.J. and Spaling, H. 2011 The role of participant learning in community conservation in the Arabuko-Sokoke Forest, Kenya. Conservation and Society 9(1): 42-53.
Robinson, L., Sinclair, A. J. and Spaling, H. 2010 Traditional pastoralist decision-making processes: Lessons for reforms to water resources management in Kenya. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 53:1-16.
The King's University Appointments
- Vice-President Academic July 1, 2006 – June 30, 2011
- Director of Environmental Studies August 1, 1995 – June 30, 2001, and June 1, 2015 - present
- Assistant, Associate & Full Professor of Geography & Environmental Studies August 1995 - present
- Adjunct Faculty: Natural Resources Institute, University of Manitoba, 2009-present
World Renew Canada:
- Country Director (Sierra Leone) 1984-88
- Agriculturist (Sierra Leone) 1982-84