Student Accessibility FAQs

What is the Accessibility Office and how can it help me in university?

The King’s University created the Student Support and Accessibility Office to ensure we fulfil our obligation to provide equal access to higher education for all academically qualified students with disabilities.

Working in partnership with students and staff, we are committed to creating a climate where all students feel welcome and able to contribute to the university community.

The Student Support and Accessibility Coordinator provides one-on-one support, working with students to facilitate academic accommodations which may minimize the impact of a disability on learning. Student Support and Accessibility Coordinators also work with students to develop independence and self-advocacy skills and provide input on how to develop campus-wide networks of support.

You can contact the Student Support and Accessibility Office by email, calling 780-465-3500 ext. 8037, or visiting us in room L-105.3 in the Centre for Teaching and Learning.


What are my rights?

  • Be free of discrimination because of disability.
  • Fair and equal treatment.
  • Accommodations which are reasonable, necessary, and appropriate on the basis of the specific disability.
  • Be accommodated with dignity and courtesy in classrooms and other areas on campus.
  • Expect that employees and other students will use appropriate language, free of discriminatory or derogatory remarks regarding disabilities.
  • Expect that an employee will keep confidential any personal information that is shared with them.
  • An individualized assessment of documentation.
  • Timely delivery of appropriate services, consistent with the notice provided by the student.
  • Prompt equitable investigation and resolution of complaints.
  • Challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and to amend information as needed to ensure accurate accommodations.


What are my responsibilities?

  • Make initial contact with the Accessibility Office well in advance of the time when services are needed. For more specific time frames, please see question five below.
  • Provide documentation which appropriately confirms the presence of a disability and the related need to be accommodated
  • Use borrowed equipment responsibly and respectfully, returning it by pre-determined deadlines
  • Self-advocate (with appropriate support) for specific individual needs
  • Participate fully and actively in the accommodations process
  • Become familiar and adhere to policies, procedures and deadlines for accessing accommodations, support services and facilities.


How do I know if I'm eligible?

The Accessibility Office coordinates academic accommodations for students with disabilities. These include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • physical disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing loss, or mobility limitations.
  • mental health conditions, such as depression, anxiety disorders, or schizophrenia.
  • chronic health conditions, such as arthritis, or Crohn's disease.
  • neurological disabilities, such as head injuries, attention deficit disorder, and learning disabilities.
  • temporary disabilities or medical conditions, such as a broken limb, or a concussion that is expected to heal over time.

To determine if you are eligible for accommodations, please register with our office following the instructions below. You can also start by completing the Request for Accommodations form online.


How/when do I register with the Accessibility Office?

To register for services, you must complete the Request for Accommodations form and contact us to make an appointment. If you already have documentation of your disability, please bring this to your first appointment. Please note, the Request for Accommodations form only needs to be completed once. To renew accommodations each year, you still need to contact us for an appointment.

It is advised that you begin the registration process well in advance of your intended start date. The provision of academic accommodations will vary in complexity, and as such, adequate time is required to make appropriate arrangements. We recommend four to six weeks prior to the start of classes for new students to King’s and within 10 days of class for returning students (provided your accommodation plan is not expected to change). More complicated accommodations require more time to set up. Please keep this in mind when considering King’s (for example, we require a minimum of two months’ notice for the hire and implementation of interpreter services). Failure to contact the office in the recommended time frame may result in a lack of accommodations due to insufficient time.


What are academic accommodations?

Academic accommodations are modifications made to the usual university procedures and/or the provisions of support services. Accommodations help ensure that students with a documented disability are able to fully demonstrate their knowledge in their course or program and that they are able to access university programs and services.

When providing academic accommodations, the university must ensure they do not interfere with the essential learning outcomes of the course or program and that they do not compromise the academic standards of the university.

The Student Support and Accessibility Coordinators will work with you to review your documentation and help determine which accommodations best suit your needs. Once those accommodations are determined, both classroom and exam accommodation information will be thoroughly reviewed with you.


What medical documentation is required?

To request academic accommodations, you will need to provide verification from the appropriate professional. Disability documentation must do as follows:

  • Be current
  • Include a diagnosis
  • Include a description of the functional impact of the disability or medical condition in the academic environment


Can instructors ask about disabilities or request documentation?

Instructors should not ask you about the nature of your disability or request copies of your disability documentation.

Once you are registered with our office and have provided us with your disability documentation, you will be provided with a Letter of Accommodation. This letter outlines your eligible academic accommodations and any information required to implement them. The Student Support and Accessibility Coordinator will provide a copy of your accommodation letter to your professor. You are still required to meet with your professor and review your accommodation letter.

If an instructor has questions about your disability or eligibility for accommodations, direct them to the Accessibility Office. If you have not registered with our office yet, let your instructors know you plan to do so.

Any information provided to the Accessibility Office will remain confidential and no one outside of the Accessibility Office will know the specifics and private nature of your disability.


Do I need to register for accommodations each year? How do I change my accommodations?

Yes, you need to contact our office and register for accommodations every year. Your Letter of Accommodation is only valid during the dates specified on the letter.

Changes to your accommodations can be requested by meeting with a Student Support and Accessibility Coordinator. Requests for new accommodations should be made early in the term. Depending on the nature of the accommodation and the timing of the request, immediate implementation may not be possible. Additional documentation may be requested before changes to your accommodation plan will be made.


What is the process for exam accommodations?

Student must be registered with the Student Support and Accessibility Office prior to receiving exam accommodations. Student must submit an online request form to the Accessibility Office seven days prior to the scheduled test or exam or three weeks prior to the first day of final exams.

Students should speak to their professor prior to the test to remind her/him of the accommodations you have been granted and to discuss any special instructions or arrangements that are necessary.

Any special requests must be discussed in person with the Student Support and Accessibility Coordinator in room L-105.3 in the CTL (Center for Teaching and Learning).

The online Exam Invigilation Request Form can be found here.