General IB Admission Requirements
- IB courses can be used for admission purposes, in whole or in part.
- If a student has an IB course and a regular course in the same subject, the higher of the two grades will be used for admission.
- If a student is using IB courses for admission, the student must have no score below three and an average of at least 3.5.
- Must have five grade 12 academic courses:
- One must be grade 12 academic English
- Three standard courses (Examples: Social Studies, Languages, Math, Calculus, Science, Fine Arts)
- The remaining course may be any academic or non-academic grade 12 course carrying normal weight
- Must meet English Proficiency and program-specific requirements
- To be considered for transfer credit, an IB course must have a score of five or higher
- Credit assessment is done on an individual basis
- Please see the Alberta Transfer Guide for more details.
IB Admission with Transfer Credit
*Please note that this list is not exhaustive and is subject to change
|IB Course||Transfers As|
|Biology (Higher)||BIOL 210 (3*)|
|Chemistry (Higher)||CHEM 200/201 (6*)|
|Chemistry (Standard)||CHEM 200 (3*)|
|Computing Science (Higher)||CMPT 250 (3*)|
|Economics (Higher)||ECON 203/204 (6*)|
|English A1 (Higher)||ENGL 204/205 (6*)|
|History (Higher)||HIST 2xx (6*)|
|Visual Arts (Higher)||ARTS 211/2xx (6*)|
|French A (Higher)||FREN 2xx (6*)|
|French A (Standard)||FREN 2xx (6*)|
|French B (Higher)||FREN 2xx (6*)|
|French B (Standard)||FREN 2xx (6*)|
|German A (Higher)||Option 2xx (6*)|
|German A (Standard)||Option 2xx (6*)|
|German B (Higher)||Option 2xx (6*)|
|German B (Standard)||Option 2xx (6*)|
|Greek (Higher)||GREK 2xx (6*)|
|Latin (Higher)||Option 2xx (6*)|
|Latin (Standard)||Option 2xx (6*)|
- When students write their IB exams, they have the option of listing which post-secondary institutions they would like official copies of their transcripts sent to. If the student does this, then King’s will receive the transcripts.
- King’s does not receive IB transcripts automatically; therefore, if the student does not complete the above, s/he will need to contact the IB office and request for official transcripts to be sent to King’s.
- If the student receives grades lower than five in each subject, which is needed for transfer credit, and they have at least five grade 12 courses, we can use their high school grades for admission and we will not require copies of their AP transcripts.