Arriving in Canada
Winter 2023 Travel Deadlines
The deadline to pay the tuition deposit is November 30, 2022. This must be paid prior to travelling to Canada.
If your study permit is approved prior to December 10, 2022, please plan to arrive in Canada no later than January 11, 2023. You will not be allowed to begin classes in the Winter 2023 Term if you arrive after January 11, 2023. As soon as you receive an approval, email a copy of your approval to email@example.com or upload this copy through your Application Status Page.
If your study permit has not been approved by December 10, 2022, your arrival deadline will be set on a case-by-case basis. We expect students intending to travel to Canada to do so as soon as they are able.
As soon as your travel plans are made, complete the Arrival Survey. This will also be sent to you by email.
Remember, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers will make a final determination on your eligibility to enter Canada at the port of entry, which is why it is very important that you have the correct documentation on hand.
You must have paid your $5000 International Student Tuition Deposit before you travel to Canada. You will have problems at the airport if you try to come without having proof of having paid your deposit.
You can find more information about entering Canada on the Government of Canada website.
Please do not attempt travel prior to receiving your study permit.
Travel Planning & Documents To Bring
Review IRCC's instructions. Have the following documents packed in your carry-on bag (do not put these in your checked luggage):
- Approval of your study permit
- A valid electronic travel authorization (eTA), a valid visitor visa (temporary resident visa), a valid green card (or equivalent official proof of U.S. status) or another valid travel document
- Copy of your admission letter to King’s – you will find this in your Application Status Portal.
- Proof of your course registrations in CrossRoad
- Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members that come with you to Canada (It's recommend to use bank statements/documents dated within one month of your travel).
- Valid immigration medical examination results, if required.
Try to book your flight directly into the Edmonton International Airport to reduce your in-Canada travel.
What To Pack
3 or 4 days of clean clothes, in case your luggage is lost.
Headphones & Ear plugs
Photos of friends and family
Power adapters (if necessary)
All medications you use