Working in Canada

Here are a few options for international students who want to work while in Canada.

Working on campus

International students do not need a work permit to work on campus if they have a valid study permit and are enrolled as full-time students. There are several work opportunities for full-time international students at King’s. Students who want to work on campus need to review the information regarding on-campus employment and then complete the on-campus job application form.

Working off campus

International students may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. Qualified students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week:

  • during regular academic sessions
  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break

Read the Government of Canada 'work off campus' requirements.

Working under co-op and internships

For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit.

Things to do in the application process

  1. Check your eligibility to apply for a work permit.
  2. Go through the document checklist for the documents you need.
  3. You can apply for your work permit online or on paper.

Note: You do not need to pay for an application-processing fee for this work permit.

Applying for a Social Insurance Number

To work in Canada, you need a social insurance number (SIN). It is a nine-digit number you need to work and have access to government programs and benefits. Read more on how to apply for a SIN. We recommend you apply in person. The most convenient Service Canada Center to get to from King's is at

148 Millbourne Market Mall
38 Avenue & Millwoods Road
Edmonton, Alberta

Students who had their study permits issued before June 1, 2014 might require a confirmation to work off-campus in order to apply for a SIN. You can get this letter of Confirmation by completing the case specific enquiry form on the CIC website.

Note: As an international student, you will receive a temporary SIN card that begins with the number "9". Your SIN card expires on the date indicated on the front of the card. The SIN card also expires on the date your study permit expires.