Applying for an Initial Study Permit

All international students (except visiting exchange students) need a study permit to study in Canada. It’s recommend that you refer to the IRCC website for up-to-date information on the application process for study permits. The following are some tips to help you navigate the website.

Things to do in the application process

  1. Before you apply for a study permit, you will need an admission letter from The King’s University. Check International Admission Requirements here to see if you are eligible for admission.
  2. Once you have received admission to your program of choice, check the following Study Permit criteria here to see if you are eligible for a study permit.
  3. It is important that you are aware of how long IRCC may take to process your study permit application. Check here to find out how long it will take to process your application. We recommend you apply for your permit three to six months in advance of the term start date to ensure you receive your permit in time.
  4. To enter into Canada, citizens of certain countries require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). See here to see if this applies to you and ensure you apply for one if you do. Those who don't require a TRV could require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
  5. Check here to see if you require a medical examination as this could affect the amount of time required for you to get your study permit.
  6. You will also need to submit Biometrics with your application. You can learn more about giving Biometrics here.
  7. You can apply for your study permit online or on paper. Normally Online applications are processed much quicker than paper applications. Paper applications can be submitted at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) nearest to you. It is very important that you review your VAC-specific requirements by selecting your country/territory here before applying. Read the Guide to Applying for a Study Permit outside Canada online here.

Note: According to IRCC (see here), you can use the initial admission letter from King's as your letter of acceptance as required in your documents to apply for a study permit.

All information is current as of April 2020. Please verify all immigration related information with before submitting a study permit application.