Health Insurance

King’s requires that all students have a health insurance plan. The cost of hospital and doctor’s care can be extremely expensive without a healthcare plan. You may be refused certain services if you do not have a Health Insurance Plan. A health insurance plan greatly reduces your medical bills if you get sick.

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)

As a resident of Alberta, you have access to Alberta Health Care (AHCIP). AHCIP is a provincial Health Care Plan which is recognized throughout Canada. In most cases, you only need to present your Alberta Health Card when you visit the doctor or hospital.

Alberta Health Care is free to all Alberta Residents. For more information and to apply, please see Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

Required Documentation

To process your application, you must include photocopies (front and back, if applicable) of documents proving the following:
• Alberta residency
• Government-issued photo identification
• Legal entitlement to be in Canada

If you wish to apply in person, see the International Student Specialist who will be happy to go with you on your visit to the Alberta Health and Wellness office.

Learn more about Alberta Health Care.

The King's University Students' Association Health Benefits

The Students' Association (SA) offers a Health Insurance package for all students. Each student is automatically enrolled at registration at a premium of $202 and are able to select various plans that best suits their needs. For more details about the plan, visit the SA website.

Student Guard Health Insurance

The Student Guard Health Insurance is an alternative to buying your health insurance. There is a premium charged, but there is more coverage than the AHCIP.

With both plans, students are covered while in Canada and while travelling outside of Canada (with exceptions). Note that Student Guard does not provide coverage for students while that student is in his/her home country.

On your visit to the doctor or hospital, make sure you bring your insurance card with you. As with Alberta Health Care, you will need to present your health card prior to seeing the doctor. If your care provider will not accept the insurance, you will need to complete a claim form for reimbursement.

Read more about about the Student Guard Health Insurance or contact your Coordinator of Intercultural Student Programs for more details.

Mental Health

King’s offers free counselling services to students through our on-campus Student Counsellor. He is available to meet with students about any of the following issues:
• Organization and study skills
• Time management
• Career counselling
• Depression / anxiety
• Faith / doubt
• Stress
• Anger
• Addictions
• Physical / Sexual / Emotional Abuse
• Sexuality
• Eating disorders

Please don’t hesitate to talk to someone if you think you need help. Go to a friend, a counsellor, a trusted professor or your Student Advisor and talk to them about what you are dealing with. It’s important to take care of your mental health just as much as your physical health.