Applying for an extension of your TRV

TRVs are visas required to enter Canada. If your TRV expires while studying in Canada and you are planning on leaving and coming back to Canada, you can apply for a new TRV within Canada. To get your TRV in time for your departure, you should apply for a TRV at least two months in advance of your departure date. Do not leave Canada without a valid TRV.

We recommend you refer to the CIC website for the most up-to-date information on the application process for extensions. The following are some tips to help you navigate the website.

Things to do in the application process

1. Go through the document checklists here and here for documents you need.

2. You can apply for your TRV online or on paper.

3. Get two passport photos taken according to the specifications. Write your name and date of birth on the back of the photos.

4. Go to the Registry and request the following:

  • Letter from Registrar (Green Sheet)
    • Information wanted:
      • registration in current academic year
      • year of study
      • program and concentration
      • anticipated graduation
    • Name of Addressee: Citizenship and Immigration – Study Permit
    • Mailing Address:
      • CPP – Ottawa
      • Temporary Resident Visa Section
      • 365 Laurier Avenue West
      • Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1
    • Pick Up
  • Photocopies of transcripts (Blue Sheet)
    • Do not fill in “Mail and/or Fax Transcripts to” box
    • Pick Up
    • Letter requested

5. Pay your fees online OR at a financial institution:

  • Print an official receipt
  • Bring receipt to bank or credit union and pay the amount
  • Keep one section and send the other with your application

6. If you are applying on paper, mail all documents to the Case Processing Pilot-Ottawa according to the mailing instructions.

Note: Do not try to apply for an extension on your TRV if your study permit is expired. Wait for your permit to be renewed before applying for the TRV

Information based on