Admission Requirements for Homeschool Students
King's welcomes students who have received their education through home-based learning. Our university has a long history of recruiting and admitting homeschool students who are successful and vibrant members of our community.
The King's University offers non-competitive admission to our bachelor of arts, bachelor of science, bachelor of commerce, and bachelor of music degrees. Homeschool students are divided into two categories:
- Students that have completed standardized curriculum.
- Students that have completed non-standardized curriculum.
All students must show evidence that grade 12 coursework was completed.
Homeschool students who have completed standardized curriculum will be assessed in the same manner as a non-homeschool student from that region.
Homeschool students who have completed non-standardized curriculum should present the following for admission to King’s:
- A Letter of Recommendation from the student’s homeschool facilitator. This letter must outline why the student would be successful studying at a post-secondary level and must verify that the student has completed grade 12 coursework.
- A Homeschool Transcript showing grade 10, 11, and 12 coursework.
- English proficiency. This can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- King's on-campus English Language Assessment Test (ELAT)
- English 30-1 Provincial Diploma exam
- A SAT/ACT English Exam
- The Pearson Test of English
- An acceptable post-secondary English course
- Proficiency in program-specific areas. Homeschool students applying into science, commerce, environmental studies, or 4-year psychology or sociology programs have additional program-specific requirements. Students may demonstrate proficiency through one of the following methods:
- Math Prerequisite:
- King's on-campus Math Competency Exam
- Corresponding Math Provincial Diploma Exam
- A SAT/ACT Exam
- General SAT will meet a Math 30-2 requirement and the Math Subject Specific SAT will meet a Math 30-1 requirement
- An acceptable post-secondary math course
- Biology, Chemistry, or Physics Prerequisites:
- An interview with a science faculty member at King's. After applying for admission, an interview can be scheduled with a science faculty member who will ask questions and assess the student’s knowledge of the subject area.
- Completion of the corresponding Provincial Diploma Exam
- Completion of the corresponding SAT Exam
- An acceptable post-secondary science/math course
- Math Prerequisite:
Please note that all homeschool students are assessed on a case-by-case basis.
If you require the ELAT or King's on-campus Math Competency Exam, please book at least seven days in advance. ELAT and King's on campus Math Competency Exams can be written from Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
If you have further questions or need to book an ELSAT or King's on-campus Math Competency Exam, please contact Matthew Jackson, Homeschool Admissions Counsellor.