International Admitted Next Steps
Congrats on your admission to King’s! Here you will find all your next steps to prepare you for the upcoming semester. If you have any questions along the way, contact Admissions and we will be happy to help you through this process.
Canadian Students, click here for Next Steps.
- Apply for a Study Permit
- Confirm Your Place at King's
- Apply for Residence
- Apply for Scholarships & Awards
- Sign In to Your Online Services
- Register in Classes
- Check Your King’s E-mail
- Accept Your Awards
- Apply for On-Campus Employment
- Complete Your Online Confirmation
- Prepare for Your Arrival to Canada
- Review King’s Student Healthcare Plan
- Arriving in Canada
- Check Out King’s Student Support Services
- Check Your Booklist
- Attend Orientation Week
Once you have received your official letter of admission, you can apply for a study permit. King’s recommends applying for a study permit 3-6 months before the semester begins to allow for adequate processing time. Some students also require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). For more information, please click here.
Back to Top
To confirm your place at King's, you will need to pay 2 fees:
- International Student Fee: $2,000 (refundable)
- Tuition Deposit (non-refundable):
- BA, BSci, BCom and BMus Applicants: $400 ($350 before the Tuition Deposit Deadline or within 2 weeks of receiving admission).
- BEd Applicants: $1,000 ($950 before the Tuition Deposit Deadline or within 2 weeks of receiving admission).
- Fall Entry
- April 1: Recommended Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee deadline. Once paid, students will be given access to their Online Services and can register in classes.
- June 15: Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee Deadline. Payments will still be accepted after the deadline, but the Tuition Deposit portion will increase to $400 ($1,000 for Education applicants).
- Winter Entry
- November 30: Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee Deadline. Payments will still be accepted after the deadline, but the Tuition Deposit portion will increase to $400. Once paid, students will be given access to their Online Services and can register in classes.
Paying Your Deposit
The Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee can be paid online through King’s On-Line Payments (credit or debit card) or through www.plastiq.com (credit card) at any time. King’s also accepts additional methods of payment.
Back to Top
Learn about King’s 3 Residence Options.
First Year Guarantee
First year students starting in the Fall who apply and pay their Residence Deposit by June 15 are guaranteed a Tower Room (double occupancy)!
- Early October: Residence Application opens.
- November 30: Residence Deposit Deadline for Winter applicants (non-refundable).
- June 15: Residence Deposit Deadline for Fall applicants (non-refundable). Applications received after June 15 will not be processed without a deposit.
Living Off Campus
Scholarships & Awards Application
- February 1: Scholarships & Awards Application opens
- March 31: Deadline to apply for Scholarships & Awards
**Note: Students must receive at least initial admission by March 31 to be eligible to receive award money in September.
Student Aid Calculator
Starting in April and after you have paid your Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee, you will be assigned a Student ID Number that you will use to access your Online Services. Once you are logged in, you will be able to:
- See important dates and deadlines.
- Accept your student contractual obligations.
- Update your address information.
- Register in courses!
- Request a letter of confirmation.
- Enrol in monthly instalments (monthly tuition payment plan).
- And more!
Starting in April and after you have paid your Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee, you will receive your “2016/17 King’s Registration Information” e-mail with your program’s first year course list. You can then register in courses! For tips, see Course Registration 101.
**Note: Students must be registered in 4 courses per term (12 credits) to be eligible to receive scholarships, 3 courses per term (9 credits) to be eligible to receive bursaries.
After you pay your Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee, you will be assigned a King’s student email address in May. From this point onward, official communication from King’s will be sent to your King’s email. You will be able to access your King’s email through Webmail. For instructions on forwarding your King’s email to your personal email address, click here.
Back to Top
Checking Your Results
At the end of May/beginning of June, you will be able to view your Scholarships & Awards Application results online. If you have not yet paid your Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee, view your results on your Application Portal; if you have paid these fees, view your results on your Online Services. Then click on “Important Documents.”
Accepting Your Awards
To formally accept your awards, you will need to pay your Tuition Deposit & International Student Fee and register in classes by June 15. You will need to register in a minimum of 4 courses per term to accept scholarships, and at least 3 courses per term to accept bursaries. You can pay your deposit online here.
- Late May/Early June: Scholarships & Awards Application results are available
- June 15: Deadline to accept your awards
A great way to earn some spending (or saving!) money throughout the school year is by getting an on-campus job. Most jobs are 10-15 hours a week and work around your class schedule. Some areas you can work in include: library, front desk reception, security, cafeteria, bookstore and more! Positions are given away on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply online by the recommended April 30 early-bird deadline.
- April 1: On-Campus Employment Application opens
- April 30: On-Campus Employment Early-Bird Deadline
- August 15: On-Campus Employment Application Deadline
This is the final step to you becoming a student at King’s! Complete your Registration Confirmation online, or book an in-person appointment through your Online Services for the beginning of the semester. For the upcoming semester, you will confirm the number of courses you will be taking, pay for your tuition and fees, confirm your contact information and upload a picture for your Student ID Card. Check your King’s e-mail closer to the date for more details.
- Late August: Fall Online Confirmation opens
- September 8, 2016: Fall Confirmation Deadline
- Late December: Winter Online Confirmation opens
- January 10, 2017: Winter Confirmation Deadline
In order to start your studies at King’s, King’s requires a copy of your study permit. Please send a copy of your Study Permit to the Registration and Student Finance Office by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 780-465-8321.
As soon as you receive your study permit, we recommend you book your flight to Edmonton. Travelling can take up to 2-3 days depending on your home country, so keep this in mind to ensure that you arrive by Orientation Week.
If you do not have friends or relatives in Edmonton, the International Students’ Office would be happy to pick you up from the Edmonton International Airport. Please e-mail the Coordinator of Intercultural Student Programs (CISP) about your flight arrangements at least 1 week in advance to arrange a ride.
We recommend that you bring with you at least $2,000 CAN in cash when you arrive to Edmonton to cover extra costs during your first month of school (i.e. rental damage deposits, utility set up costs, books, etc.).
If you are living in Residence, please note that you will need to bring your own bedding, pillows and towels. Also Edmonton temperatures can be as warm as 30°C and as cold as minus -30°C, so you will need appropriate clothing. Most students purchase these items when they arrive in Edmonton. For a complete list, see our Packing Lists.
The King’s Students’ Association (TKUSA) offers an extensive healthcare plan for all students through the carrier wespeakstudent.com. There are 4 plans to choose from depending on what prescription, dental, vision and extended health coverage you need. Students with comparable healthcare coverage can opt out of the plan.
If you would like to purchase health insurance from your home country before leaving, please make sure that it is as extensive as King's Student Healthcare Plan, otherwise you will not be able to opt out.
For more details on the King's Student Healthcare Plan, see the TKUSA webpage and click on “Health Plan”.
When you arrive at the airport, you will go through Canadian Immigration and speak with a border services officer. Provide them with all your travel documents, including your letter of approval for a study permit. They will give you an official study permit document. Please make sure all the information printed on it is correct, and if you are allowed to work, make sure the study permit document says “may work", "allowed to work" or "may accept employment”.
The Edmonton International Airport is 15 minutes south of the city and you are responsible for finding your own way to campus or your private living accommodations when you arrive. If you did not sign up for airport pick-up with the Coordinator of Intercultural Student Programs (CISP), here are some transportation options:
- Sky Shuttle Airport Service
- Airport Taxi Service
- Red Arrow Shuttle
- Regular Taxi Service
- ETS Route 747 to Century Park. From there you can take a bus or the LRT to get around the city.
Did you know that King’s Student Life department offers many support services for students, including accommodations for students with learning disabilities, tutoring, writing support, our UNIV 150: Academic Success Course and psychological counselling? Check out Student Services for more details.
The Fall Booklist will be available in mid-August on King’s Bookstore website. The Winter Booklist will be available in mid-December. King’s Bookstore offers both new and used books. Some students wait until the first week of classes before purchasing their textbooks so that professors can clarify which books you will need. If you would like to purchase your books ahead of time, use King’s Online Bookstore and your textbooks will be waiting for you when you arrive on campus.
Residence Move In Day
- Fall: August 29, 2016
- Winter: January 2, 2017
Review our Move In Day details for more information.
- Fall: August 30-31, 2016
- Winter: January 3, 2017
If you prefer completing your Registration Confirmation in person rather than online, book an in-person appointment through your Online Services. For the upcoming semester, you will confirm the number of courses you will be taking, pay for your tuition and fees, confirm your contact information and upload a picture for your Student ID Card. Check your King’s e-mail for more details.
- Fall: August 30-31, 2016
- Winter: January 3, 2017
Create a smooth transition into university, connect with other new students and be prepared for success both in and out of the classroom! All new students are required to attend Orientation, click here for more information.
- Fall: August 31, 2016
- Winter: January 2, 2017
This 3-part program helps international students adjust to life in Canada, particularly during the first few weeks.
- Fall: September 1, 2016
- Winter: January 4, 2017
Please note that most labs don’t begin until the second week of classes, check with your course instructor for more details.
Find a locker in your ideal location and make note of the locker number on the door (or scan the QR code). Then log into your Online Services and select “Register Your Locker” to sign it out for the year and put a lock on your new locker.
- Fall: September 16-18, 2016
Meet new friends and make memories at Camp Nakamun, and best of all, it’s free attend! Add "UNIV 065: Fall Retreat" to your Fall course registration through your Online Services.
Our Admissions Counsellors are happy to help you with any questions you may have before the school year begins. Admissions Counsellors are available Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (MST):
- P: 780.465.8334
- TF: 1.800.661.8582
- E: email@example.com
- (Online Chat): www.kingsu.ca
- Facebook: Welcome2King's